Bacon and onion sausage bake recipe
This bacon and onion sausage bake turns run-of-the-mill bangers and mash into something a bit fancy. It has a delicious sauce made from thick-cut bacon, roasted onions and a hint of balsamic and honey.
- 3 Spanish onions, peeled, cut into wedges
- 150g bacon or speck, thickly diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 sage leaves
- 8 good-quality pork sausages
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 2 tsp honey
Preheat oven to 190°C conventional (170°C fan-forced). Toss onions and bacon in oil and place in a baking pan. Season well and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, add garlic and sage and stir to combine. Place sausages in a single layer on top of onion mixture and return to oven for 25-30 minutes. Turn halfway through to brown evenly.
Once sausages are done, remove to a plate and keep them warm. Place baking pan onto the stove top over medium heat. Add vinegar and stir well to deglaze the pan. After 30 seconds, pour in stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Add honey and combine well. Season if required.
Serve sausages with mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables, with bacon and onion sauce spooned over the top.
- I used thick English-style pork sausages here but any good quality sausage would be fine. Thin sausages will require a shorter baking time.
- If you can't find thick-cut bacon, purchase a piece of speck and slice it to your desired thickness.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages