Lemon calamari salad recipe
This lemon calamari salad is soft, crunchy, zingy and is cooked in two minutes. Now that’s a salad worth making.
- 600g calamari, sliced into rings or pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 200g fennel, shaved (use a mandolin, potato peeler or knife)
- oil spray
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
Mix calamari, garlic, oil, lemon zest and fennel together and season with salt and pepper.
Heat char-grill pan or barbecue on high, spray lightly with oil and add calamari mixture.
Cook calamari for 1-2 minutes moving mixture around frequently to ensure even cooking (you’ll know when it’s cooked when the calamari just turns white).
Squeeze over lemon juice, toss through spinach leaves and divide among plates.
Serve now while it’s hot and gorgeous! If you like it lemony, serve with extra lemon wedges on the side.
- You can barbecue halved lemons to serve with this calamari.
- If you don't like fennel or just can't get it, you could use choko, leeks or even onions
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.