Chicken and prawn jambalaya recipe
If you hate washing up, this one-pot Cajun dish makes a perfect dinner. It has a great combination of chicken, prawns and rice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 3/4 cup rice
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 2 smoked chicken drumsticks
- 300g garlic green prawns
- 1 chicken breast, diced
In a large, heavy-based frying pan, heat oil over high heat and saute onion, capsicum and celery until softened.
Add tomatoes, bay leaves, paprika, thyme, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
Stir in rice, chicken stock and smoked chicken drumsticks. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Add prawns and chicken. Cook until meat is done (about 10 minutes more). Season to taste with salt, pepper and more Tabasco, if desired.
- Tabasco is optional in this recipe but it is a Cajun dish and is supposed to be spicy.
- You can buy garlic green prawns at your fishmonger but plain green prawns will be a good substitute if they don't have them.
- This recipe was created by Alana House.
Find more chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Spiced yoghurt chicken with coriander rice
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken garlic schnitzel
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken