Lemon slice recipe
This deliciously simple lemon slice has few ingredients, is easy to make and has great flavour. Pack it into lunch boxes or serve it for afternoon tea.
- 200g Marie or Arrowroot biscuits
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 100g butter melted
- rind of one lemon, finely grated
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- juice of one lemon
- 40g butter softened
Line a 21cm x 16 cm slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
Place biscuits, coconut, condensed milk, butter and lemon rind in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Press the mixture into the slice tin.
To make the icing, using a mixer, beat the butter and add the lemon juice. Gradually add icing sugar. Spread over slice, sprinkle with coconut and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting into squares.
- If you use the back of a metal spoon to press the base into the tin you will get a nice even surface.
- You could swap the lemon for orange in this recipe if you prefer oranges.
- This recipe was created by Kris Henderson for the Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.