Owl cupcakes recipe
These cute owl cupcakes are easy to make with the kids and perfect for fundraisers and fetes. Get baking for a cute afternoon tea treat.
- 1/2 cup (125g) butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup (180g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- chocolate melts
- cocoa powder
- white icing
- brown M&M's Mini
- yellow Smarties
Preheat oven to 160°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a 12-cup tray with patty liners.
Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence with electric beaters. Add eggs, beat well. Add milk and self-raising flour.
Mix with wooden spoon to combine then beat with electric beaters until ingredients are incorporated (don’t over-beat or the cupcakes will be dry and firm). Spoon mixture into patty cases. Bake for around 12-15 minutes, until golden. Cool on wire racks.
Melt chocolate according to packet directions. Spread on a piece of baking paper to form ears and head feathers. Place in freezer to chill for a few minutes.
Mix a little cocoa powder with white icing to make a mid-brown colour. Ice cupcakes. Arrange ears and head feathers. Cut marshmallows in halves horizontally to form eyes. Dab a little icing on brown M&M's Mini and place on marshmallows as pupils. Use yellow Smarties as beaks.
- If you line up all of the decorations in bowls, this can be a great decorating activity to do with the kids.
- You can use Betty Crocker Ready-made Vanilla Frosting for the white icing in this recipe of you don't have time to make your own.
- This recipe is cretaed by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes