Healthy Mexican chicken soup recipe
If you love a quick, healthy, tasty soup then this Mexican chicken soup will become your best friend. Full of spices and loaded up with vegetables, legumes and lean chicken breast, you’ll feel better just looking at it.
- 6 cups (1.5L) stock
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, finely sliced or minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup red kidney beans (140g), drained and rinsed
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
In a large saucepan add stock, garlic, celery, cumin and paprika.
Bring to a simmer and add chicken breast, kidney beans and corn kernels.
Bring back to a simmer for 1-2 minutes before adding carrot and capsicum.
Simmer for a minute to soften vegetables.
Serve in big bowls topped with avocado and coriander leaves.
- To remove kernels from corn cobs, hold cobs firmly in a vertical position on a board and slice down as close to the cob as you can get with a sharp knife. The kernels will come straight off.
- If you’re chilli eaters, feel free to add chilli powder or chopped chillies at the beginning to flavour the soup base.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe