Pork sausages with warm lentil salad recipe
Something magical happens when hot lentils are added to a tart vinaigrette - they absorb all of the flavours and become the perfect accompaniment to most proteins, in this case, some tasty pork sausages.
- 1 cup French-style lentils
- 3 cups (750ml) cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, leaves picked
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100g feta cheese
- 80g baby spinach
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Place lentils and 3 cups cold water in a saucepan with the bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a frypan over medium heat and brown sausages on all sides. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
In a large bowl, combine parsley, onion, tomato, oil and vinegar. Drain lentils and add straight to bowl. Combine well. Crumble over feta cheese. Season well.
Place a handful of baby spinach leaves on each plate. Top with a large spoonful of lentil salad and two sausages.
- French-style black lentils or Puy lentils are available in supermarkets. They hold their shape when cooked better than brown lentils.
- You could use goats cheese in place of the feta if you prefer.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages