Apple and cinnamon rice recipe
There aren’t many better combinations than apple and cinnamon. A good way to introduce proper rice is to do it with their first fave – apple. A sprinkle of cinnamon gives it extra flavour, too.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) Arborio rice
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 cup apple puree
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, breast milk or formula
In a small pan over medium heat, melt a dollop of butter, add the rice and stir. Add half of the water and a quarter of the apple puree and stir until all the moisture has been absorbed.
Sprinkle in the cinnamon, stirring all the time. Add half the milk and another quarter of the apple and stir again until absorbed. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients and continue stirring until the rice is cooked and all the moisture has been absorbed.
Leave to cool and serve.
- Make a huge batch of apple puree, freeze in an ice tray then place in zip-lock bags and keep in the freezer for times when you need puree but aren’t keen on making it from scratch.
- Taste test as you cook – the rice might need more or less of the liquids before it’s cooked through.
- You can puree if a smoother finish is preferred.
- You can double this recipe so tomorrow's rice is already made. Just make sure you keep it refrigerated in an airtight container.
- This recipe was created by Belinda Graham from The Happy Home. You can follow her on Facebook, find her on Twitter and see her lovely boards on Pinterest.