Barbecue bean stew recipe
Enjoy this gorgeous bowl of bean-y goodness for dinner tonight; it’s sweet, salty and tangy all in one. Fantastic for 'Meat-free Mondays'.
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 x 400g cans of 4 bean mix
- 3 cups (750ml) beef-style stock
- 1/3 cup (70g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Heat oil in flameproof casserole dish and add onions, carrots, celery and garlic with a small pinch of salt.
Cook on low for 8 minutes or until soft.
Add beans, stock, sugar, Worcestershire and barbecue sauces and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
- In this recipe we’ve used beans as protein but alternatively you could add some braised lamb or beef for a more traditional stew.
- Beans are packed with iron and fibre and also great value for money.
- This stew is loaded with vegetables but feel free to add some more of your favourites! You could throw in some chopped zucchini or mushrooms, for example, to ramp the nutrition goodness right up.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin casserole
- Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Italian chicken casserole
- Lamb and bean casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Pork casserole with herb dumplings
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Italian beef and potato casserole