Orecchiette with sausage and greens recipe
This funny little earlobe-shaped pasta is the perfect vehicle for a hearty sausage and green vegetable sauce. Enjoy year-round with generous sprinklings of shaved parmesan and some crusty bread on the side.
- 400g orecchiette
- 300g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 bunch silver beet, stems removed, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g thick sausages
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- parmesan cheese, shaved, to serve
Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain.
Meanwhile, bring 500ml water to boil in a small saucepan. Blanch broccoli for 2 minutes. Add silver beet and blanch for a further minute. Strain and set aside.
Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausages and break meat up into small, uneven pieces. Add to frypan and brown all over, using a wooden spoon to turn and further break up the meat.
When almost cooked through, add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add cooked green vegetables and combine well.
Pour in wine, allowing it to bubble up. Then add stock and cream and simmer for a minute or so.
Finally, add drained pasta and toss the pan to ensure everything is coated in the sauce. Season well. Serve with shaved parmesan.
- Choose good quality beef or pork sausages.
- Don't be too fussy when you break up the sausage meat. You don't want even-sized meatballs, nor do you want the consistency of mince.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages