Possum Magic cupcakes recipe
These cute little possum-topped cupcakes were created to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the book Possum Magic in 2013. These are a cute book week cupcake.
- 250g softened butter
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 (525g) cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 pkt fondant (white icing)
- brown food colouring
- sifted icing sugar for rolling fondant
- 1 x dog cookie cutter
- 1 x small star cookie cutter
- food colouring for stars
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Place patty liners in three 12 cup trays and set aside.
Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy and then add eggs one at a time, taking care to mix in between each addition.
Add vanilla and then alternate adding flour with milk until all is mixed in. Beat well until pale and smooth.
Spoon into patty pans until each is two thirds full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer placed into the centre comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are baking, colour and knead the the fondant and roll out on a board sprinkled with icing sugar. Cut out dog shapes and stars and place on cupcakes when they are cooled.
- Optional extras for variation - 1 tbsp rose water or grated lemon rind or 1 cup raspberries or 1/2 cup shaved white chocolate.
- These cupcakes were made for Miss Five's birthday AND to celebrate the 30th birthday of Possum Magic in 2013.
- This recipe was created by Megan Daily for www.childrensbooksdaily.com. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Princess Leia cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes