Roasted pumpkin soup recipe
Roasting pumpkin before pureeing it into soup results in a lusciously sweet bowl of deliciousness. Serve it up with fresh bread for a tasty lunch.
- 1/2 pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tsp peri peri or chilli of choice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- bread to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Place a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray.
Toss pumpkin, garlic cloves and onion in olive oil. Arrange on tray. Cover with foil and bake until tender (30 - 40 minutes).
Pour chicken stock into a stockpot. Add thyme leaves, pumpkin and onion.
Squeeze roasted garlic from skin into stockpot. Add peri-peri/chilli.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream.
Puree with a stick blender.
Serve with fresh bread.
- Butternut pumpkin works well in this recipe.
- Use more chilli, if desired. I found the soup a little sweet with just one teaspoon of chilli, so I added two.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related pumpkin recipes
- Easy pumpkin scones
- Pumpkin and chickpea curry
- Pumpkin and corn baked risotto
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin and mozzarella risotto
- Pumpkin and oat cookies
- Pumpkin and ricotta tortellini
- Pumpkin and spinach risotto
- Pumpkin fritters
- Pumpkin risotto
- Pumpkin, pear and ginger loaf
- Pumpkin, spinach and feta rolls recipe