Spring frittata recipe
Make the most of spring vegetables with this lovely frittata for lunch or dinner. Low on fat and big on taste, this will soon become a family favourite.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6-8 (about 200g ) small new potatoes, sliced thickly in thirds
- 6-8 asparagus spears (80g), woody ends removed, cut into bite size pieces
- 2/3 cup (125g) peas (if using frozen then thaw first)
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- zest from 1 lemon
- 40g Danish feta, crumbled
Preheat grill on high heat.
Heat oil in a non-stick oven-proof frying pan and add potatoes.
Toss potatoes in oil, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes before adding asparagus, peas and spring onions.
Continue to cook for 3 minutes.
Whisk eggs, egg whites and lemon zest until light and frothy. Add eggs to frying pan and cook for 3 minutes or until the base is golden and set.
Dot with feta and place under the preheated grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden and frittata is set. Remove from heat.
Place an egg flipper underneath the frittata and gently slide out onto a plate. Alternatively you can place a board or plate over the frittata and turn upside down.
Cut into wedges and serve with salad.
- I’ve used potatoes, asparagus and peas in this frittata but feel free to use whatever ingredients you have in the house (and can get the kids to eat!). You could also replace the potato with sweet potato or pumpkin, just adjust the cooking times so the vegetables are softened.
- You could also add some bacon if you’ve got bacon lovers in your house (and who hasn’t?). I would put it in at the same stage as the asparagus.
- Swap out the feta for cheddar or tasty or any other of your favourite cheeses.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related frittata recipes
- Apple and cinnamon frittata
- Baby bacon and spinach frittatas
- Bacon tomato and basil frittata
- Caramelised onion and sweet potato frittata
- Chorizo and potato frittata
- Ham frittata
- Leek, zucchini and cheese frittata
- Mini frittata
- Pea and asaparagus frittata
- Roast vegetable frittata
- Sweet potato frittata