Play dough ornaments recipe
This play dough ornament recipe can be used for pendants, Christmas tree decorations, heart-shaped gifts for Mother’s Day or Valentine's Day or even shamrocks for St Patrick's Day.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cooking salt
- 360ml (1 1/2 cups) warm water
- additional flour for the work surface.
You will also need:
- a rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- paints and varnish
Preheat oven to 145°C (125°C fan-forced) . Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and 240ml (1 cup) of warm water with a spoon. Gradually add the remaining water as required until you have a soft and pliable dough.
Roll out dough on a floured work surface until it is around 5mm thick. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
Use a straw to poke holes for the ties.
Bake in the oven for around 1 hour or until firm. Turn over after 30 minutes to dry evenly. Paint and varnish each shape and tie string through the holes to hang.
- You can bake these at a higher temperature but they tend to puff up a bit. The lower temperature ensures that that they keep their shape.
- You can also sprinkle glitter on these or add eyes or buttons, etc. with glue when they are dry.
- These can also be dried in the sun.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.