Sweet-smelling glitter play dough recipe
Play dough is a terrific tool for creative play and learning in young kids. It is easy to model and builds self-esteem. Making your own play dough saves money and allows you a bit of creative expression too! This sweet-smelling glitter play dough will delight everybody's senses!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup salt
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- food colouring
- a few drops of any essential oil such as peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, bergamot, rose, etc.
Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
It takes a while and may look like it's not coming together, but hang in there.
Once it's roughly together, you can throw it on the bench to knead until it's smooth and silky.
- Wrap the play dough up well after your child has finished playing with it in a ziplock bag (with all the air squeezed out) and then pop in an airtight plastic box. This way, it'll stay fresh for another day.
- Add the food colouring to the play dough and kneed on a plastic board if you don't want to turn your wooden chopping board a funny colour!
- Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to make decorations. Use a straw to make a hole for hanging and then thread the air-dried shapes on to pretty ribbon or string to make a colourful garland.