Coffee and walnut cake with mocha ganache recipe
Double your caffeine hit with this easy coffee and walnut cake iced liberally with a gooey mocha ganache - just the thing for morning tea to keep you going until lunchtime!
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1 cup (160g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup strong espresso
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100ml cream
- 30ml espresso
Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Grease and line a loaf tin.
Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add flour, baking powder, coffee and milk and beat until just combined. Stir through walnuts.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
To prepare ganache, melt chocolate with cream and espresso over low heat until smooth and glossy. Allow to cool. Pour over cake.
- Alternatively, you could replace the espresso in the cake with 2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water. For the ganache, just add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the cream.
- You could also omit the ganache and serve the cake retro-style, sliced and buttered.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- Everyday chocolate cake recipe
- Dirt cake recipe
- Orange and polenta cake
- Apple and hazelnut cake recipe
- Chocolate pavlova
- Mars Bar mud cake
- Lemon coconut surprise
- Marble cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- Chocolate ripple and raspberry cake