Healthy roast pumpkin salad recipe
This gorgeous roast pumpkin salad is similar to a summer potato salad but made with roast pumpkin. Healthy and delicious.
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- vegetable oil spray
- salt and pepper
- 4 (60g) spring onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup (65g) roasted pumpkin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- salt and white pepper
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Line 2 baking trays with baking paper, place pumpkin on trays and spray lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25-30 minutes until pumpkin is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Add 65g (about 2/3 cup) of the pumpkin to a food processor and add remaining dressing ingredients.
Process dressing until smooth, adding more water if the dressing is too thick.
Gently toss roast pumpkin with spring onions and dressing. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- I often wondered if pumpkin would work in a potato salad style dish and now I know. The secret is to roast the pumpkin so it’s soft but not too soft. The flavour is just beautiful.
- Pumpkin is lower GI than potatoes, has more fibre and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. It also has less kilojoules.
- You could also use sweet potato for this salad but I would use the orange fleshed ones as they are softer.
- This salad is best served at room temperature.
- Instead of using mayonnaise, which we all love but tends to be quite high in saturated fat, I’ve come up with the creamiest dressing using some of the roast pumpkin, buttermilk and a few other ingredients. This would be lovely on any salad actually, so keep it in mind next time you have a hankering for mayo.
- Nutritional values per serve: 336kj (80cals); 1.1g total fat (0.4g saturated fat); 4.5g fibre
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad