Candy cane cupcakes recipe
These festive vanilla cupcakes have cream cheese icing and a cute mini candy cane on top. Double yum!
- 1/2 cup (125g) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
Cream cheese icing
- 250g Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (115g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 12 mini candy canes
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a cupcake tray with patty pan cases and set aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, vanilla and sugar together. Then add eggs one at a time, beating well.
Add half of the flour and milk and beat until well combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
Divide equally among the patty pan cases and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
To make the icing
In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until light and fluffy and the sugar has thoroughly dissolved. Add in the cream and mix until just combined.
Place into a piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Top the icing with mini candy canes.
- If you want to make this recipe even more special, crush up a few candy canes and add them to the cupcake mixture before baking.
- If you don't like cream cheese icing then you can replace it with a buttercream icing mixture.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.