Coconut and raspberry ice cream cake recipe
This delightful coconut and ice cream cake is flavoured with coconut cream and fresh raspberries. It is the perfect treat on a summer's day and great for special occasions.
- 4L vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/3 cups (330ml) coconut cream
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- 275g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 600ml thickened cream, whipped
- icing sugar mixture, for dusting
Line an 8cm-deep, 20cm (base) square cake pan with plastic wrap, extending plastic wrap 5cm over edge of pan on all sides. Place a third of ice cream in a large bowl (return remaining ice cream to freezer). Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Stir in half the coconut cream and half the essence until mixture is smooth and combined (ice cream should be soft, not melted at this stage). Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
Place half of remaining ice cream in a large bowl (return remaining ice cream to freezer). Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Place 150g raspberries in a small bowl. Using a fork, crush raspberries. Add crushed raspberries to ice cream. Stir to combine. Spoon raspberry ice cream into pan over coconut ice cream. Smooth surface. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
Repeat with remaining ice cream, coconut cream and essence. Spoon over raspberry layer. Smooth surface. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 3 hours or until firm.
Cut 4 x 9cm-wide x 25cm-long strips of baking paper. Place on a baking tray. Place chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH (75 percent) for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds, or until melted and smooth. Working quickly, spoon a quarter of chocolate mixture onto 1 paper strip. Using a butter knife, spread chocolate in a thin layer to cover strip. Repeat with remaining chocolate and paper strips. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until just set. Using a warm sharp knife, cut each strip into 5 x 5cm-wide pieces.
To serve, turn ice cream and remove plastic wrap. Stand for 5 minutes or until edges soften slightly. Working quickly, dip a spatula or knife in hot water and run it around the edge of the cake to soften the ice cream slightly. Attach chocolate pieces, slightly overlapping, around edge of cake. Dollop top of cake with whipped cream. Decorate with remaining raspberries. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
- You can make this recipe ahead of time for a special occasion and pull it out like a magician
- Be mindful of working quickly with the ice cream. Depending on the weather, it can have a tendency to melt pretty fast.
- This recipe was created for Super Food Ideas. Recipe Cathie Lonnie Photography Craig Wall Styling Kristine Duran-Thiessen Food preparation Lucy Nunes.
Find more cake recipes:
- Balloon birthday cake
- Birthday cake recipes
- Bouncing balls birthday cake
- Chocolate owl birthday cake
- Chocolate-dipped strawberry flower birthday cake
- Cupcake tower birthday cake
- Dino birthday cake
- Easy lolly birthday cake recipe
- Flower pot birthday cake
- Handbag birthday cake
- Hollywood starlet birthday cake
- Ice cream cone birthday cake
- Island birthday cake
- Make-up compact birthday cake
- Marshmallow flower birthday cake
- Mermaid treasure birthday cake
- My Little Pony birthday cake
- Pirate ship birthday cake
- Princess birthday cake
- Simple marshmallow birthday cake recipe
- Soccer field birthday cake
- Spaceship birthday cake