Easter chick biscuits recipe
These cute little Easter chick biscuits are the perfect Easter gift for friends or you can just serve them to your little guests with a big glass of milk.
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (335g) white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 1 quantity buttercream icing
- pink food colouring
- 1 cup (225g) white sugar (preferably large crystals but normal table sugar will do)
- blue writing icing
- orange writing icing
You will also need:
- 1 chick cookie cutter
- piping bag with a small nozzle for the icing
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
In a bowl sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes). Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to a thickness of 8mm. Keep turning the dough as you roll, making sure the dough doesn't stick to the counter.
Cut out chick shapes using a cookie cutter, then transfer cookies to the baking trays.
Bake for about 7-9 minutes (depending on size) or until they are brown just around the edges. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Prepare buttercream icing as directed and tint with pink food colouring. Place into a piping bag with a very small nozzle and pipe a thin layer of buttercream icing onto each biscuit, taking care to leave room for the beak.
Place sugar on a small flat plate and press each iced biscuit into the sugar so they get a light fluffy coat.
Pipe on the eye using the blue writing icing. Pipe on the beak and the legs using the orange writing icing.
- If you are not going to frost the cookies, you may want to sprinkle the cookies with coloured sugar before baking.
- Don't skip the refrigeration time with these cookies as it's essential for a crisp cookie snap.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.