2 ingredient energy bars recipe
This delicious bars have just two ingredients and they are perfect for school lunch boxes. There is no baking, no buying, no nuts and they are sweet and healthy!
- 3 cups (600g) pitted dates
- 1/3 cup (80ml) boiling water
- 3 cups (420g) oats + extra for coating
Step 1. Line a 17 x 27cm slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
Step 2. Place dates into a food processor and process until it has a jam-like consistency (you may need to add a touch of hot water if it is dry).
Step 3. Add oats once cup at a time until it's all incorporated and the mix starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
Step 4. Press into the tin and freeze for 1-2 hours. Cut into fingers and roll in extra oats to coat. Wrap individual fingers in baking paper and store in an airtight container.
- You can also roll these in sesame seeds if you prefer.
- Some people like to soak their dates overnight but I think you can get the same result by adding some hot water to the mix when processing.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.