Vietnamese chicken salad in a box recipe
This Vietnamese chicken salad in a box is full of crunch and flavour. It’s great for parties as you can make it up in big quantities before the event then just serve it into boxes or bowls when needed. I find kids about six years or upwards particularly love this.
- 1 barbecued chicken, deboned and shredded
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage (wombok), finely chopped
- 1cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and very finely sliced into strips
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into strips
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of three limes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 /3 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped
Combine the shredded chicken, cabbage, sprouts, herbs, carrot and cucumber in a large bowl.
Combine the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a jar and shake to combine. Pour this over the salad and mix well.
Toss with the drained noodles, top with the peanuts and spring onions and serve. Kids seem to love this in individual noodle boxes but you could just do little bowlfuls if that’s easier.
- You could add some cooked rice noodles to make this go further.
- I find that grown-ups just love this salad too, particularly with some finely diced fresh chilli.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad