Apple sauce cake recipe
Here's a twist on an old-fashioned apple tea cake. The apple sauce adds a delicious tang to the batter and makes for a deliciously moist and moreish cake.
- 1/2 cup (125g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (180g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 375g jar apple sauce
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a ring tin and line the base with baking paper.
Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold through flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Finally, fold through the apple sauce.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Once cooked, remove cake from tin and place right side up on a cooling rack. Brush the cake with melted butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
- You could use a homemade apple puree if you prefer.
- Try adding chopped apple and/or walnuts to the batter before baking.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing