Chocolate and pear cake recipe
Cut into this rich and crumbly chocolate cake and you’ll be rewarded with succulent pieces of sweet poached pear. It’s a delicious combination.
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup (180ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (190g) plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 medium poached pear halves, halved
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a round 23cm springform cake tin.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and chocolate together with the boiling water. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa and baking powder. Whisk in melted chocolate mixture. Add eggs and vanilla essence, then whisk until smooth.
Pour batter into prepared tin. Arrange pear pieces on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin before removing.
- You can poach your own pears in a light sugar syrup, or feel free to use tinned pears in this recipe instead.
- Serve warm with ice cream for a delicious winter dessert.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing