White birthday cake recipe
This delicious three-layer white birthday cake is the perfect blank canvas for you to make your ultimate sweet treat.
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup copha, chilled
- 3 cups (775g) white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 servings buttercream icing
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and flour 3 x 23cm round cake pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the butter and grate the copha on top. Using a mixer, beat together on medium speed until combined. While the motor is running, pour in sugar half a cup at a time until the whole 3 cups are well combined.
Add the eggs one at a time, taking care that each is well incorporated before adding the next one.
In another large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a jug, combine both the milks and vanilla extract.
With the mixer running, alternate between adding the flour and milk mixtures, bit by bit, until everything is mixed in. Then beat on high for 3 minutes.
Pour equal amounts of batter into each tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer placed into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
When cakes are cooled, sandwich each layer with buttercream icing and then ice entire cake all over.
- If you want to add a bit of pizzazz to this cake, you can pour 1 cup of coloured sprinkles into the batter and stir just before baking.
- You can add food colouring to the buttercream icing to create a different look, and experiment with different toppings and sprinkles too.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing