Chocolate birthday cake recipe
This chocolate birthday cake is rich and velvety with deep chocolate flavour. Topped with chocolate buttercream icing it becomes the best chocolate cake EVER!
- oil spray
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 cups (450g) white sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 2 quantites Chocolate buttercream icing
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Spray 2 x 23cm round cake pans with oil spray and flour. set aside.
In a mixing bowl, place the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate soda, salt and coffee. Using the mixer on a low speed, combine all dry ingredients.
Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla to the mixing bowl and beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined.
Add boiling water to the bowl and mix slowly until combined and then on high for 1-2 minutes.
Divide mixture evenly between 2 cake pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer placed into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Leave to cool in cake pans for 10 minutes and remove to cool further.
Prepare chocolate buttercream icing and place on cup of icing on the top of one of the cakes. Spread evenly and then place the second cake on top. Ice both cakes all over evenly with the remaining icing.
- This cake batter is VERY runny. Don't be concerned, it gives you a lovely moist cake.
- To enable these cakes to have a nice flat top, I drop the batter-filled tins from about 20cm high onto the bench. It brings all the air bubbles to the top and gives you a nice flat topped cake.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot,New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing