Chicken pasta salad recipe
Pasta salad is the perfect summer family meal, lunch or BBQ side salad. Made in minutes, this tasty recipe combines BBQ chicken, fresh green beans, healthy chickpeas and crushed tomato with the creaminess of natural yoghurt. The kids will love the flavours - and as an adult bonus it’s diet friendly!
- 250g dry pasta, (preferably penne)
- 100g fresh green beans, with the ends trimmed and halved
- 150g skim plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup canned tomato puree, (approx 60ml)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 200g tomato, (preferably cherry), halved
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 300g BBQ chicken breast without skin, shredded
- 50g fresh rocket leaves
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Add green beans for the final 3 minutes and cook until tender.
Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
Combine the yoghurt, tomato puree and soy sauce in a large bowl.
Add the pasta, beans, tomatoes, chickpeas and chicken and toss all together to combine.
Serve pasta salad topped with rocket leaves.
- To add extra fibre to this recipe, try using wholemeal pasta instead of plain.
- If you can’t find fresh green beans, frozen will work just as well. Just pop them into the boiling water still frozen.
- Later in the day, supermarkets tend to mark down their BBQ chickens. So why not grab a discounted chook to make this recipe for lunch the next day?
- This recipe was written by Weight Watchers as part of Kidspot.com.au's Positively Life Changing initiative.