Raisin and walnut brown rice salad recipe
Sick of your boring side salads? Try this yummy savoury yet sweet salad option with your next family meal. Healthy brown rice is given a tasty makeover with walnuts, mandarin and raisins. Not only diet-friendly, it’s a great way to get the kids interested in boring old brown rice.
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup canned mandarin in syrup, drained
- 80g walnut, lightly toasted, chopped
- 2 individual spring onions, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vinegar, (preferably Sherry vinegar)
- 2 tsp olive oil
Combine the rice, raisins, mandarins, walnuts and spring onions in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Whisk the vinegar and oil in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the dressing to
rice mixture and toss to combine. Spoon into bowls and serve.
- Buy walnuts still in their shell from your green grocer and crack them yourself for maximum freshness. Otherwise lightly toast already shelled walnuts in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat to freshen them up.
- This salad is easy enough for the kids to help you prepare.
- This salad is an easy side to whip up for a barbeque or picnic. You can keep the dressing separate in a sealed bottle, and then when it comes time to serve shake the bottle vigorously and pour over rice. Easy!
- This recipe was written by Weight Watchers as part of Kidspot.com.au's Positively Life Changing initiative.