Tomato chilli and clam spaghetti recipe
This tomato chilli and clam spaghetti takes no longer to cook than the pasta! It's ideal to cook for a casual supper with friends. All you need are four big white bowls, garlic bread, white wine and a salad and you've got an impressive meal ready to go.
- 1 x 500g packet spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 x can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1kg clams, cleaned and ready to cook
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for a few minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and chilli and stir for 1 minute. Tip in the tomatoes, plus half a cup of water and stir well.
Let simmer for 2 minutes and then add the clams. Bring the heat up a little so the mixture is bubbling nicely, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
By this time, the clams should all have opened up. Drain the pasta and tip into the tomato and clam sauce, toss gently and serve sprinkled with lots of freshly chopped parsley.
- You should discard all clams that don’t open. They may not have been live or fresh when you bought them.
- I always add plenty of salt to the water when cooking pasta. Pasta water should be as salty as the sea.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.