Salmon with feta and basil crust recipe
This salmon with feta and basil crust contrasts the succulence of oven-baked salmon fillets with a crunchy topping. This easy-to-prepare breadcrumb crust combines feta, basil and pine nuts.
- 1 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- 75g feta
- 1 lemon, zest
- 4 salmon fillets (approx 125g each)
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). In a food processor, combine breadcrumbs, pine nuts and basil. Add feta and lemon zest and blitz into a coarse paste. Season well.
Form mixture into four patties roughly the size of your palm. Press onto the top of each salmon fillet, moulding to cover them evenly. Place on a baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until just cooked through. Finish under a grill to brown the crust, if required.
Serve with steamed green vegetables.
- You can make your own sourdough breadcrumbs with leftover bread. Remove crusts and chop roughly before blitzing in a food processor or blender.
- Substitute pine nuts with hazelnuts or almonds if preferred.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find related salmon recipes
- Asian salmon salad
- Baked salmon
- Baked salmon with leek and fennel
- Creamy smoked salmon pasta
- Creamy smoked salmon tagliatelle
- Family fish pie
- Salmon cakes
- Salmon filo pies
- Salmon fish fingers
- Salmon macaroni bake
- Salmon mornay
- Salmon sushi
- Salmon with chermoula potatoes
- Salmon with green salsa
- Salmon with miso noodle salad
- Salmon with zesty citrus salsa
- Salmon, corn and dill risotto