Ham and spinach egg rolls recipe
These tasty little egg rolls make a nice break from sandwiches. The ham and spinach filled parcels are delicious hot or cold and make a fabulous lunch box filler.
Makes 1 roll
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 80g spinach
- 2 eggs
- 20g butter
- 1/2 cup (50g) tasty cheese, grated
- 50g ham, thinly sliced
Heat oil in a non-stick frypan over gentle heat. Cook onion for 4 minutes until soft, being careful not to brown. Add spinach and cook for a further minute until wilted. Transfer to a bowl.
Beat eggs. Return frypan to medium heat and melt butter. Pour in eggs and swirl pan to evenly coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes until eggs have just set and cheese is beginning to melt. Carefully slide omelette out onto a board or plate.
Lay ham in a single layer over omelette. Top with spinach mixture. Starting with the side nearest to you, gently roll up into a parcel, tucking in the sides. Slice in half to serve.
- Mix up the fillings to suit your taste. You could try feta instead of tasty cheese, or grated carrot and zucchini with the spinach.
- Prepare the omelettes and fillings ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. Then you just need to roll them and pop them into a lunch box.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.