Beef and potato croquettes recipe
These beef and potato croquettes are delicious enough for the kids to gobble and parents to steal, which makes them the perfect dish for a kid's birthday party.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp (40ml) buttermilk
- 500g beef mince
- 3 cups parmesan, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 cups (135g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender. Drain and mash with the buttermilk.
Add the mince, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper, herbs and lemon zest and using your hands, mix together well. Shape into small balls, about a tablespoon of mixture, and flatten a little (as per the picture).
Coat in the breadcrumbs and arrange on a baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
Turn over and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve warm with a mild tomato chutney and some greens.
- Swap the parmesan with crumbled feta for a more intense cheese-y flavour.
- I like a mix of thyme, oregano and parsley as fresh herbs for this recipe but in a pinch you could always use 2 tbsp of dried mixed herbs.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.