Garlic soup recipe
There may seem to be a lot of garlic in this soup, but once it has been roasted, its creamy sweetness will have you coming back for more. It will also help to keep winter germs away.
- 4 heads garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken stock
- 200ml cream
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Place garlic on top of a sheet of foil. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and season well. Wrap well and bake for 1 hr until garlic is soft. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze all of the garlic from the skins.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil. Cook onion over low heat for 5 minutes until translucent. Be very careful not to let it brown. Add garlic, potato and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
Remove from heat. Process soup with a stick blender (or transfer to a blender or food processor) until smooth and silky. Just prior to serving, add cream and reheat gently. Season if required.
Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped chives.
- Try to find organic garlic. The flavour is far superior.
- Vegetable stock is a fine substitute for the chicken stock.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.