Slow cooker Italian chicken stew recipe
This simple and light slow cooker Italian chicken stew is a breeze to prepare and the fall-apart meat and delicious tomato sauce will be a winner with the whole family.
- 1.2kg mixed chicken thighs/drumsticks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
Season chicken pieces well with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Brown chicken in batches and place in slow cooker.
Pour wine and chicken stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Scrape down pan and pour over chicken pieces.
Place vegetables, tinned tomatoes rosemary into the slow cooker with chicken.
Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
Serve with pasta or mashed potato and green vegetables.
- You could add some sliced kale, cabbage or spinach towards the end to boost the green vegetable content.
- Turn leftovers into a shredded chicken pasta sauce for the kids, or make some simple pies by filling puff pastry squares, folding them into triangles and baking.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.