Polenta cheddar and spinach muffins recipe
These polenta, cheddar and spinach muffins are great for lunch boxes, parties or with lunch or dinner. They're also delicious in winter, served with soup.
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup (70g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- 100g spinach, steamed then finely chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and line a 12-hole/1 cup capacity muffin tin with paper cases.
Whisk together the milk, oil, egg and chives.
In a large separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Then add the wet ingredients and fold together gently. Season to taste with salt and peper.
Divide mixture between muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Swap the spinach with finely chopped kale.
- Fold through some cooked, chopped bacon for extra flavour punch.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.