Chocolate loaf recipe
This dense, delicious chocolate loaf is about the easiest thing you’ll ever make with the kids. Let them help measure everything out and combine the ingredients and they will definitely love licking the bowl!
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (135g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1-2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
Place all ingredients in the bowl of your food processor or a blender and process to combine. Scrape this mixture into your prepared loaf tin and smooth over the top.
Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Once completely cool, mix the icing sugar and cocoa together with a little boiling water until you have a nice thick consistency. Spread this over the cake and scatter over sprinkles.
- Fold through some chocolate chips to make this even yummier!
- Ice with a plain chocolate icing or even a ganache if you prefer. I like it nice and plain but that might just be laziness talking!
- Thanks to the almond meal and yoghurt, this loaf lasts well for days (wrapped tightly) and can also be sliced and frozen for lunch boxes.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.