Smashed pea and goat's cheese rolls recipe
Add some pizzazz to your next picnic with these flavoursome Smashed pea and goat's cheese rolls. Utterly delish AND healthy!
Makes 10 rolls
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 clove garlic, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 10 bread rolls (your choice)
- 100g goat’s cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or other fresh herbs)
Place the peas in a saucepan of boiling water, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Cool under a cold running tap and drain.
Pop the peas into the food processor (or use a hand blender) and puree together with garlic, mint, olive oil and vinegar, until the mixture looks like a rustic paste.
Spoon pea mix into rolls and top with as much goats cheese as you like. Add a spinkle of herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- To give the rolls an extra kick, you can add some fried shallots or chilli to the pea puree or garnish the rolls with semi-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers.
- This mix also tastes wonderful on fresh rye bread.
- Use any leftover mix as a dinner time condiment, alongside a steak or chicken breast.
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Pip at Meet me at Mike's.