BBQ beef san choi bao recipe
A classic Chinese dish if ever there was one, this san choi bao is made with beef and smokey Chinese barbecue sauce. Low in fat and big in flavour, it’s always a favourite at dinner time.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 can water chestnuts, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice vermicelli (about 65g uncooked)
- 1 iceberg lettuce or 2 butter/green oak lettuce, washed and separated out into lettuce cups
Heat oil in large wok or frying pan and add beef.
Brown beef and add garlic and ginger.
Cook a further minute before adding chilli, water chestnuts, hoisin sauce and soy sauce.
Cook for a minute or so before adding spring onion and rice vermicelli.
Stir through and serve in lettuce cups.
- If you've got the time, remove the beef mince from the fridge 20 minutes before you cook it. It cooks quicker and more evenly if it's at room temperature.
- 1369kj (326cal); 10.2g total fat (3.8g saturated fat)
- Recipe written by Jay Rogers for The Moodie Foodie. You can follow The Moodie Foodie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.