Cute bird sandwich recipe
This pretty bird sandwich is not only a miniature piece of art, it's also a deliciously healthy lunch that kids will love. It'll have your little bird-like eaters chirping for more!
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- 1 slice of white bread
- 1 slice of cheese
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced lengthways
- peel of 1/2 small cucumber
- 1 raisin
Using the photo as a guide, cut the bird’s body from the wholemeal bread. Then cut the bird’s head and tail from the white bread.
Cut the wing shape and tail feather shape from the cheese as well as another feather shape from the carrot. Cut the wing accent shape and beak from the carrot, too.
Grab your cucumber peel and cut some thin strands for the wing and leg details.
Assemble the bird on a large plate, as shown in the photo, using the raisin for the bird's eye.
Garnish with grapes and a spoonful of hummus.
- Use other fruit and vegetables to embellish the bird's environment such as finely cut celery sticks as grass and dollops of hummus for clouds.
- With the leftover cucumber, why not cut some bird's egg shapes and add them to the plate?
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.