Chicken teriyaki meatballs recipe
These delicious chicken teriyaki meatballs are baked and egg-free. They come with a delicious teriyaki sauce that is packed full of flavour.
- 1 kg chicken breast mince
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup shallots (green onions), very finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic (or 6 cloves, crushed)
- 2 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/ cup (125ml) low-salt soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pineapple juice (drained from crushed pineapple)
- 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic (or 6 cloves crushed)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- shallots, sliced (garnish)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (garnish)
Step 1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Place chicken mince in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the milk and breadcrumbs to the centre to soak for a few minutes.
Step 2. Place the remaining meatball ingredients into the bowl and combine well using a spoon.
Step 3. Spray 2 x 24 cup mini muffin pans with canola oil and spoon tablespoon-sized balls into the tray. Cook for 15 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
Step 4. To make the sauce; place soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved. Mix cornflour into the 1/4 cup of water until you have a slurry and add it to the saucepan, whisking well until you have a thick teriyaki sauce that will coat the back of a spoon. Toss chicken meatballs in sauce and garnish with extra shallots and sesame seeds.
- You could try these fennel meatballs which are also baked and served with penne.
- These chicken and chorizo meatballs use Spanish chorizo to boost the flavour.
- Creamy mushroom meatballs are covered in a thick rich sauce that the whole family will love.
- These Swedish meatballs will give Ikea meatballs some stiff competition.
- If you like your meatballs packed full of energy then these hedgehog meatballs are filled with rice.
- If you want to do something delicious with meatballs and you are sick of pasta then these meatball subs are for you.
- If your kids love macaroni cheese then you can up their protein intake with this meatball mac and cheese.
- You will find these healthy meatballs to be a great lean alternative if you are watching your waistline.
- Lamb meatballs are perfect for wraps and these are no exception.
- Pork meatballs are both flavoursome and delicious for parties.
- These chicken meatballs are a kids favourite and I like to keep these in the freezer at all times.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.