Slow cooker beef rendang recipe
This mildly spiced slow-cooked coconut beef is a delicious change from a regular beef casserole. Enjoy with a big bowl of rice for a warming winter’s meal.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.2kg gravy beef, 4cm dice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 x tin (400g) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 tbsp tamarind puree
- coriander leaves, to serve
For spice paste:
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp galangal, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 2 lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
For spice paste, process all ingredients in a food processor. Alternatively, pound in a mortar and pestle until finely minced.
Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add spice paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add beef and brown on all sides. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker and add all other ingredients except coriander leaves. Add 1 cup of water. Cook for 6-8 hours on low until meat is tender and falling apart.
Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Turn slow cooker up to high and allow sauce to thicken. Taste and check for seasoning, and add more brown sugar, tamarind or salt if required. Return meat to sauce. Serve with rice, coriander leaves and steamed green vegetables.
- You could skip the spice paste stage of this recipe and just use a store-bought rendang paste.
- Don’t be daunted by the list of ingredients. They are all readily available in Asian supermarkets, green grocers and the Asian food section of most regular supermarkets.
- If you are looking for another beef recipe then Slow cooker beef with red wine shallot gravy is delicious.
- You could make Slow cooker Irish stew for a hearty meal.
- You may like Slow cooker beer stew if you love a big flavours.
- If you are looking for something a bit lighter then Slow cooker chicken casserole is still warming and delicious.
- You can cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker with this Slow cooker roast chicken recipe.
- If you love lamb then you will love our Slow cooker Greek lamb and Slow cooker lamb shoulder.
- If your family likes meatloaf, you will love this Slow cooker meatloaf.
- There are recipes other than meaty meals that you can make in the slow cooker. Why don't you try this Slow cooker bread or Slow cooker cheese and bacon scrolls.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.
Find more beef recipes:
- Thai beef salad with nam jim
- Beef and bacon soup with parsley doughboys
- Beef and bean nachos
- Beef and glass noodle stir fry
- Beef and onion pie
- Beef and pumpkin casserole
- Beef and rice croquettes with tomato onion gravy
- Beef and vegetable dinner
- Beef Bourguignon Pies
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Beef goulash
- Beef pot roast
- Beef skewers with peanut sauce
- Beef stroganoff
- Beef, ale and barley stew