Spring minestrone recipe
This comforting, healthy soup is a wonderful thing to make with and for your kids at this time of year. Get them to help you chop (if old enough!) all the vegetables into nice, neat little squares and begin teaching them some very basic knife skills.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and diced
- 200g pancetta, cut into 1cm-square cubes (or thereabouts)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup pumpkin, cubed
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, very finely sliced
- One parmesan rind
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups small maccheroni pasta
- Extra parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook, stirring often, for five minutes.
Add the garlic, carrot, turnip and thyme and cook for a further five minutes, stirring often. Now add the cabbage, parmesan rind, 2 cups of water and the stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the maccheroni and cook for eight minutes or until al dente. Serve soup in bowls with crusty bread, extra parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Use any vegetables you have handy; potatoes, sweet potatoes, leeks, Jerusalem artichokes are all good too!
- You could also swap the pasta with cooked and drained white beans or other pulses.
- This African-spiced cauliflower soup recipe is exotic and healthy.
- This Cauliflower and leek soup is also made with cauliflower but a lot milder.
- If you have an abundance of onions, this French onion soup recipe is traditionally French and delicious.
- Keeping it simple when you are hungry is a great idea and this Chicken noodle soup is a great tmmy filler.
- This cheaty Tomato soup is as easy as it gets and delicious with toast.
- Another unusual soup is Apple, pumpkin and cheddar soup.
- If chicken soup is your thing then try Chicken dumpling soup, Cream of chicken soup and Easy chicken soup all fit the bill.
- Good old-fashioned comfort food doesn't get better than this Barley and vegetable soup.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.