Spiced maple popcorn recipe
Looking for party food that will REALLY excite the kids? Look no further than this Spiced maple popcorn recipe. It's just bursting with flavours your party guests will rave about!
Makes 5 cups of popcorn
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp mixed spice
Following the instructions on the packet to make the corn kernels into popcorn. If there are no instructions on your packet, pour kernels into a large pot, add olive oil, rice bran or coconut oil to just cover the kernels then gently heat until you can hear the first few kernels pop.
Once they’ve started popping, reduce heat somewhat; enough to retain the popping without scalding those kernels that are yet to pop. When the popping slows down, remove the pot from heat. Tip into a large bowl and set aside.
Place the rest of the ingredients into a small saucepan, stir consistently over a medium heat and bring to a gentle boil for 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken.
Take the pan off the heat and pour over the bowl of popcorn.
Mix well, tossing with a large metal spoon to coat evenly.
Spoon chewy blobs into patty pan cases, set in fridge for 10 minutes and serve.
- If you are not a big fan of sweet popcorn, you can make a savoury version with 4 tbsp butter and the zest of a lemon or lime. Follow the same method above but serve in individual bowls and do not refrigerate.
- You can also try flavouring with butter, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup toasted desiccated coconut tossed over the popcorn.
- If you are feeling lazy, you can use a microwave popcorn sachet to make your popcorn.
- This golden Honey popcorn is the perfect snack to have on hand at your kid's birthday party.
- A little bit naughty but oh-so-very-nice, try making this Mars Bar popcorn as a special weekend treat.
- The kids will go crazy for this popcorn-laden Lolly gobble bliss bombs recipe. Another must for parties, or even cake stalls.
- A bowl of Nacho popcorn is a fabulous savoury way to get your popcorn fix.
- Take your party snack up a notch with these cute Olympic flame popcorn cups. So simple, but very effective!
- It may sound a little odd, but Maple bacon popcorn is surprisingly yummy. You'll never look back once you try it.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.