Date balls recipe
Looking for a healthy snack that the whole family can enjoy? These little bites are incredibly delish and will satisfy your craving for a sweet treat. And the kids will think they're pretty yummy too!
Makes 35-40 balls
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 3 cups mixed nuts and seeds (example: 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup almonds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup linseeds)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut, to coat
Place dates in a saucepan and cover with water Bring to the boil then simmer until water is all soaked up. Transfer dates to a medium size bowl, mash well with a fork and set aside.
In a blender, pulse nuts and seeds into a coarse meal. Add to the mashed dates along with the cocoa. Stir the mixture well until combined.
Use a tablespoon to scoop up the mixture and roll into a small, tight balls. Roll through coconut and arrange onto a piece of baking paper or waxed paper inside a storage container.
Eat straight away or store in a covered container in the fridge, and consume within a week.
If you've got a family member with a nut allergy just replace the nuts with extra seeds and/ or rolled oats.
For extra flavour try adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the dates as they cook, or make an adults-only version of this recipe by adding a splash of coffee or your favourite liqueur.
- Try these No-bake coconut and date balls, for another irresistbible and healthy family snack.
- These 2-ingredient energy bars are surprisingly sweet, given they don't contain any added sugar.
- The kids will never know that these Sneaky pumpkin muffins are packed full of veggies. So tricky!
- Say 'no' to pre-made supermarket snacks, these Chia seed museli bars are so much better for you.
- Corn pikelets are great for the lunch box, or as a take anywhere, eat anytime healthy snack.
- Whip together a batch of Feta and spinach muffins, for a savoury snack your kids will always devour.
- Keep a jar of these Healthy chocolate power balls in the fridge and you'll always have something yummy and healthy at your fingertips.
- These nutrient-rich Breakfast biscuits will ensure picky eaters leave the house with a full belly.
- Moist and chocolatey, you'd never guess that these Zucchini brownies are so good for you.
- On warm days this Caramel banana frozen yoghurt is an unbeatable snack!