Cheesy cauliflower slice recipe
Serve this nutritious slice as a healthy afternoon snack, or as a tasty side for lunch or dinner. Hot or cold, these hidden veggie bites will be guzzled with gusto!
- 1 medium cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
- 1 cup (80g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (40g) parmesan cheese, grated.
- 2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp dried herbs or spice of choice (smoky paprika, nutmeg or an Italian herb mix)
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor or blender, until they resemble a coarse cauliflower meal. If using a blender you are best to do this in batches.
Put 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Place cauliflower meal into a sieve and position the sieve on top of the saucepan. Steam cauliflower meal for 5 minutes, or until soft.
Use a large spoon to press down on the cauliflower to get rid of any excess water, then transfer cauliflower onto some clean kitchen towel and squeeze out remainder of water.
Place cauliflower into a medium bowl with half the mozzarella, half the parmesan, eggs, mustard and herbs/spices. Combine well with a metal spoon.
Spread mixture onto the baking tray and use your hands to shape into an even-thickness rectangle. Sprinkle remaining cheeses on top.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and slice is cooked through. While still hot, use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice into squares, then transfer to cooling racks.
Serve with tomato sauce, salsa, fresh sliced tomatoes or a little green salad.
- This slice is delicious eaten hot or cold and is a great lunch box idea.
- If you don't slice into squares straight away, you will find it very difficult to make nice neat squares once the bake has cooled down.
- Another way to serve up delicious cauliflower to hesitant kids, is with a plate of yummy Cauliflower tots.
- This Cauliflower pizza base is so tasty, the kids will never know how healthy THIS pizza crust is!
- Serve a traditional Cauliflower cheese alongside a Sunday roast, for a meal that will appeal to every member of the family.
- This warming Cauliflower, pumpkin and pea curry is a hearty budget meal for a chilly evening.
- Rice-lovers will really enjoy this creamy Cauliflower risotto, with optional smokey bacon bits.
- For a perfect mid-week meal, try this fast and easy Chicken breast with creamy cauliflower bake.
- You can have this Cauliflower and leek soup on the table and ready to slurp in under 20 minutes!
- In need of some comfort food? You can't go past this Pulled beef cottage pie with cauliflower mash.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.