Apple and yoghurt cupcakes recipe
These moist apple and yoghurt cupcakes are topped with an irresistible cream cheese and honey-spiked icing. Perfect as an after-school snack or as a special treat for the lunch box.
- 100g butter, cubed and softened
- 100g coconut oil, solid but softened
- 1/2 cup (115g) raw caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and finely diced (or grated)
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, brought to room temperature
- 3 tbs honey
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with patty cases and set aside.
Cream butter, coconut oil and sugar together really well until pale and fluffy (not gritty). Add vanilla and mix again.
Add eggs, beating well between additions and then add yoghurt and mix through well with a spoon.
Next, fold through flour, then apple.
Take a 1/4 cup measure and run under hot water, then use it to transfer batter to patty cases. (You may need to rinse every third scoop).
Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the icing, blend all ingredients together with an electric beater until soft and fluffy. Then apply to cooled cupcakes with a flat knife.
- You can store these in the fridge for up to three days. These muffins keep quite well owing to the content of healthy fats and yoghurt.
- This is quite a dense cupcake so it won’t look puffed up and ‘light’ when cooked through. It will be pale rather than browned as it’s got the white yoghurt in it.
- These Fruity lemon cupcakes are another delicious way to combine your love of cake with your love of fruit!
- Once you've tried these Banana cupcakes with passionfruit icing, you'll want to make them over and over again. The icing is just sensational!
- If you're looking for a cupcake recipe that's good for grown-ups, these Coconut cupcakes are just the thing, as they aren't as sweet as regular cupcakes.
- The kids will go crazy for these super-cute Owl cupcakes. Such a cinch to put together, but so effective!
- These Quick chocolate cupcakes are a fast way to satisfy someone who is in desperate need of a chocolate fix.
- Add a burst of colour to any kids' birthday party with these colourful Rainbow cupcakes with buttercream icing.
- Make someone's day with a batch of these happy Smiley cupcakes - because everyone needs a little cheering up sometimes!
- These cute-as-a-button Reindeer cupcakes will make your Christmas table look (and taste!) just that little bit more spectacular.
- Got a kid with allergies? These Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes mean that they won't miss out on the fun.
- These Lamington cupcakes make the perfect Aussie-inspired treat for patriotic kids.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.