Spring pesto chicken recipe
Make the most of seasonal green veggies, with this utterly delish spring pesto chicken dish. It's a cinch to prepare and will take less than 30 minutes to cook - perfect those nights when you don't have a lot of time.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large leek (250g), white part only, roughly chopped
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
- 1 tbsp pesto (from a jar)
- 500g skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch (100g) asparagus, wooden ends removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 100g broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup (10g) fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and add leek with a small pinch of salt.
Cook leeks on low for 10 minutes or until leeks are soft.
Add stock, garlic, pesto and chicken and bring to a gentle simmer.
Cover and allow to simmer gently for 12 minutes.
Add asparagus, broccoli and basil and simmer uncovered for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
Remove garlic cloves, spoon into individual bowls and serve.
- If the stock does not fully cover the chicken, you may want to turn the chicken pieces over halfway through cooking.
- For extra flavour you can leave the garlic pieces in, but mash them before serving.
- These Chicken teriyaki meatballs also make a great family-friendly meal.
- Another perfect-for-spring dish, is this sweet Apricot chicken, that the kids will go crazy for.
- These Homemade chicken nuggets, made with real chicken breast, are so much better than anything you can buy in the supermarket.
- Need to feed a hungry crowd? Keep it simple with this Easy chicken parmigiana recipe.
- For a sure-fire dinner winner, you can't go past this recipe for crispy Chicken schnitzel.
- If you're watching what you eat, this Healthy butter chicken is wonderfully tasty without the calories.
- This Chicken risotto is a great dinner idea for families on a budget.
- The hidden vegetables in this Chicken lasagne make it the perfect meal for fussy kids.
- If you're looking for a new recipe for Sunday lunch, give this delish All-in chicken leg bake a go. Guarateed to appeal to everyone.
- Get dinner on the table in under 20 minutes with this recipe for Fast hoisin chicken stirfry. The kids will love you for it.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie.