Black bean brownies recipe
For a delish and healthy twist on a traditional chocolate brownie, try these heavenly black bean brownies. You'll still get a hit of rich gooey chocolate, but you'll also get a big serve of extra protein and fibre. And the kids will never, ever know. Bonus!
Makes 16 fingers
- 1 x 440g tin of black beans, well rinsed and strained
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (75g) sugar-free cocoa
- 3/4 cup (125g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) wholemeal flour
- 100g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pouring cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- The black beans add a certain dense texture to the finished product, which is offset by the icing. If you can’t get a hold of black beans, kidney beans would work nicely, too.
- If you have a wheat intolerance, you could substitute the wholemeal flour for spelt or whichever flour you prefer. And if you don’t have any coconut oil to hand, butter will work in this recipe just as well.
- These Healthy chocolate brownies are made with agave nectar to make them naturally sweet, and pumpkin to keep them nice and moist.
- A fast brownie is a good brownie! And that's exactly why you need to try these delish 3 ingredient Nutella brownies.
- The yummy biscuit base on these Anzac brownies give these little bites a lovely crunchy edge.
- Crank up your regular brownie offering and serve up a batch of these Double choc fudge brownies instead. They are every chocolate lover's dream come true.
- Give ordinary brownies a sweet little Easter twist, with these Caramello egg brownies. They're almost too cute to eat!
- These gluten-free Yummy chocolate brownies are perfect for those with food allergies.
- Here's an easy to way to make a really decadent treat. These Tim Tam brownies are better than you can possible imagine.
- Any time you get a mid-afternoon chocolate craving, just whip together this Microwave brownie for one! You can thank us later.
- Here's a novel way to sneak an extra serve of veggies into the kids' diet. These Zucchini brownies taste so much better than they sound!
- If you're a traditionalist, then you can't go wrong with this recipe for Easy chocolate brownies. Best served with a mug of hot tea or a glass of warm milk.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.