Lemon and garlic roast chicken recipe
Love the idea of a Sunday roast but don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen on your precious weekend? Try this speedy roast chicken recipe that's healthy and delicious.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 (125g each) chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 4 (about 120g each) Desiree potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tbs roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- salad leaves or steamed vegetables, to serve
Combine the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and honey in a bowl. Season with pepper and whisk to combine. Place the chicken on a large plate. Pour over half the lemon mixture and turn to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Pierce potatoes with a fork 4 times. Microwave for 5 minutes on High/100%, they will still be firm. Remove from the microwave and wrap together in foil. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Cut potatoes into chunks and place into large roasting pan lined with baking paper. Drizzle with the remaining lemon mixture. Roast for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat until hot. Add 2 chicken fillets and cook for 2 minutes each side until golden. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place chicken into the roasting pan with potatoes and roast together further 5 to 8 minutes, turning the potatoes occasionally until chicken is cooked through and potatoes golden and crisp.
Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with salad or vegetables.
- The great thing about this recipe is that you don’t have to juggle cooking the white and dark meat together. By just roasting chicken breasts, you can ensure you end up with succulent, perfectly cooked meat.
- Getting the potatoes started in the microwave in this way is a really nifty cheat – and one you can pull out every time you fancy roast potatoes but are short on time.
- This recipe was created for the Heart Foundation’s Mums United campaign.