Tomato basil salad recipe
Sweet tomatoes and basil tossed through a garlicky vinaigrette, this salad is bold and beautiful. Perfect for this Summer’s barbeque season.
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 600g mixed ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
Add sugar to vinegar and dissolve. When you’re ready to serve, mix all ingredients together.
- Fantastic as an accompaniment to any barbeque.
- Wonderful tossed through pasta.
- Delicious spooned over a baked potato with a little light sour cream.
- Wonderful served on toasted ciabatta as a bruschetta.
- I’ve used a tomato medley mix that’s easily found in the supermarkets for this dish as it contained lots of different varieties that look pretty in the bowl. If you can’t find this, just use the sweetest cherry and vine-ripened tomatoes you can find.
- Some people draw all the moisture out of the tomatoes before they make the salad but I just love all the additional juice it makes. If you like your salad less juicy, you can either deseed some or all of the tomatoes before use, squeeze them to remove moisture, or put them into a colander and sprinkle over some salt leaving for about 15 minutes or so.
- Mop up the sweet tangy juices with crusty bread – Yum!
- If you love tangy flavours to go with your tomatoes then this Tomato and anchovy tart is a delight.
- Sometimes you really need a satisfying meal and this Tomato and basil risotto is a great tummy filler.
- Are you looking for another way to have chicken for dinner? Tomato and garlic chicken is packed full of flavour and so easy to make.
- If it's a little bite to eat you are looking for then these Tomato and ricotta tartlets with thyme oil are perfect with a glass of wine.
- This Tomato basil pizza will please the whole family and have them coming back for another slice so make sure you double that recipe.
- If you are looking for true comfort food then you can't go past these Tomato meatballs.
- Get a real boost of mediterranean flavour with this Tomato salad with olives and basil.
- Nutritional values per serve: (87cals); 5.4g total fat (0.7g saturated fat); 1.9g fibre
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.